The mission of Shoes That Fit is to provide new shoes to children in need for school. Since 1992, this grassroots, volunteer-run charity has provided hundreds of thousands of new athletic shoes to children in communities across the U.S.
Shoes That Fit programs are in hundreds of schools, operating exclusively on private donations, with no federal or state funding. The organization puts together sponsors, such as businesses, churches, and civic groups, with schools in their communities that have kids in need. School staff identify & measure children most in need, and the sponsor purchases the shoes and delivers them to the schools.
Barbara Frias, an avid former volunteer and now staff member, says, "My daughter was chairperson of the Shoes That Fit program sponsored by her Kiwins Club at school. I was impressed by the simplicity of the program & the immediate positive impact it made on the children getting new shoes. I am now one of five employees managing over 300 volunteers for Shoes That Fit."
"The very best thing about Shoes That Fit is that we provide new shoes to children in need. A new pair of shoes helps build self-esteem and removes the stigma of poverty, allowing children to fit in with peers and attend school in comfort and with dignity. When children fit in at school, they can concentrate on their studies rather than their circumstances.
"Shoes That Fit volunteers can make a difference in their own communities; you decide how many children you will help.
"We have received thousands of letters from children helped by our program. For instance:
- 'Thank you for the new shoes. You showed me that someone cares...' writes Cameron.
- Diana says, 'Thank you for the shoes, you really made me happy because these are the first new shoes I got. I don't have a dad & my mom only works 4 days each week so we don't have enough to buy me new shoes...'
"These words are proof that such a simple gift of new shoes can make a huge difference in the life of a child. Our donors share why they give:
- 'I support Shoes That Fit because of the focus on children in & around the community I live in.'-Michael.
- Jeff writes, 'There are few charities where you can see the impact of your gift so quickly & personally. New shoes...go beyond basic needs to self-worth. That is why we support Shoes That Fit.' "
What You Can Do
- Make your tax-deductible donation to Shoes That Fit safely & securely online, mailing, or calling us toll free at 888-715-4333
- Start your own Shoes That Fit chapter to help children in your community.
- Donate a new pair of athletic shoes
- Consider Shoes That Fit in your estate planning
- Give through payroll deductions at work
- Donate a vehicle (in any condition) through Cars4Causes
- Give through United Way
- Donate every time you search the internet using GoodSearch.com
Would you like to be our Cause of the Week? Tell us who you are, and why you should be featured in our blog right here. We would love to hear from you.