As you're passing out the candy to all the goblins and witches at your door this weekend and through Monday, keep in mind that sometime on October 31, the world's population will pass 7 billion.
It's a sobering thought.
The UN's Campaign
© 2011 7 Billion Actions
The United Nations Population fund has created 7 Billion Actions: A Global Movement for All Humanity to encourage us all to seize the challenges that a larger pool of humanity poses. With an emphasis on the positive, the 7 Billion Actions website invites you to tell your story.
It is a lovely site with eloquent stories and beautiful photos. Add yours and join the movement. As Halloween comes and goes, be sure to think about population growth, read a couple of articles, talk about it to your friends and family. Consider the implications, and the positive actions you can take to make the world a better place.
More food for thought:
- 7 Billion Actions. On the same site, you can explore 7 Billion and Me, putting in your personal information to see stats that put you within the context of population growth.
- National Geographic's iPad App, 7 billion, explores the challenges of this population turning point.
- Seven Billion on October 31ish? - About.com Geography Guide
- Baby 7 Billion - About.com's Political Humor Guide. Clever cartoon!
- Seven Billion - Op-Ed by Joel E. Cohen at the New York Times.