What You Should Do Right Now
How are you cultivating an attitude of gratitude? That's the theme for November's Nonprofit Blog Carnival. Pamela Grow is hosting and wants to know how you are retaining your donors by being grateful for them. The deadline is on Monday, so get that post in. My RSS feed is saying that many of you have already written something that fits. Send it in.
18 Nonprofits Honored for Outstanding Taglines: 2012 Taggies. Trying to think up a good tagline for your nonprofit? Start by checking out the winning ones in this year's Taggies competition. Nancy Schwartz is the tagline queen who has not only the taggie bests for this year but a whole lot of helpful advice for how to write them.
Awash in Money: How to Compete with Billion-Dollar Elections and Hurricanes This Year-End. Sign up for this free webinar from GuideStar. Featuring Gail Perry and Andrea Kihlstedt, it will give you, "...five must-do strategies to help you stand out in a crowded fundraising field."
This superstorm left the east coast reeling, but the outpouring of help is redefining the way we volunteer and give.
10 Creative Hurricane Sandy Relief Efforts - Care2. From hugs to games to apps, people are coloring outside the lines to help communities cope.
Occupy Wall Street Leads Way in Sandy Relief - Care2. Turns out OWS turned into Occupy Sandy on its way to becoming a model for mobilization. applicable to just about any cause, movement, or need.
Rounding Up Volunteers, via New Apps - New York Times. How creative techies turned out mobile applications after Sandy to pool "technical resources to solve the problems that can arise quickly, like how to move supplies to those in need and relay reliable information about shelters and food."
Fundraising, Social Media
- Six Simple Ways Nonprofits Can Increase Their Exposure on Social Media - Nonprofit Tech 2.0. Are you using "micro-engagment" techniques to enhance your social media presence? It's easier than you think.
- Is Facebook Ruining Facebook? - J Campbell Social Marketing. If you're frustrated with Facebook's ever-changing rules, you'll want to read this post about what FB is doing wrong.
- How to hide the stuff your fundraising shouldn't include in the first place - Future Fundraising Now. What are "dead zones" and how can you use them?
- Death to the Annual Report Mass Mailing - Nonprofit Quarterly. How to keep your costs down and still do what you need to do.
- Who Writes a Better Fundraising Letter, the Doctor or the Patient? - Harvey McKinnon Associates. This post is all about stories and how you should tell them.
- 4 Times When A Nonprofit Needs a Strategic Plan - Social Velocity. Nell Edgington makes the case anew for a strategic plan. My favorite reason here is "You Want to Wake Up Your Board."
- When Bad Things Happen to Good Orgs Online - Allison Fine. You know it's going to happen. The fear of it might even be holding you back. Allison interviews some social media leaders about how to be prepared.
Photo: Dimitri Vervitsiotis/Getty Images
Photo: Chris Jackson/Getty Images Entertainment