- Nonprofit Blog Carnival - The February theme for the Carnival is how to keep your donors coming back. Marc Pitman is the host and the deadline is Feb 25th. Retention is a hot topic, so you may already have bagged a blog post on that topic. If so, send it in. Here are the details: How do you keep your donors wanting to come back?
- Fundraising Best Practices: Sharing the Results of Donating Online to 31 Nonprofits - Nonprofit Tech 2.0. The results of a real experiment by Heather Mansfield. The most shocking result? Only 13 of the 31 nonprofits enabled donors to complete the donation process on one page; five of the 31 nonprofits made donors wade through between 4 and 9 pages to make their donation! Need a cheat sheet to check your own process? This is it.
- Takeaways from Blackbaud's Charitable Giving Report - Socialbrite. If you didn't get a chance to study this recent report, do read this summary from John Haydon. It has good news for small nonprofits (they did better relative to big charities), and has valuable lessons for the coming year. For instance, everyone in your org is accountable for fundraising, how technology can lead to smarter fundraising, and why content is the key to engagement with your donors.
- NextGen Donors and the New Golden Age of Philanthropy - Social Velocity. Nell Edgington clarifies the findings from a new study. The lesson is that a new generation of donors is here, and they treasure impact, engagement, and going their own way.
- 7 things that will make you a better fundraiser - 101Fundraising. Fundraisers after awhile can become pretty cynical. If that has happened to you, listen to someone who is brand new to it. Margaux Smith has some ideas about how to stay on track, all of which you know but may have temporarily forgotten.
- To Sell is Human; To Give, Divine - Why We're All in Fundraising Now - Clairification. Daniel Pink's new book, "To Sell Is Human," is the hot business book of the year. Claire Axelrad applies its wisdom to fundraising.
- Ten Biggest Mistakes Boards and Executives Make - Blue Avocado. Having heard more stories about bad boards than I care to, this article rang very true, especially when it comes to poor recruitment of new board members. Executive Directors don't get off easily either, especially when they only tell the board about successes and leave out the problems.
- Online Cultivation Lessons From LinkedIn - npEngage. Loved these examples of how LinkedIn uses its data about its members to more fully engage them. Are you using your data this productively?
- Charity can't decide whether annual report should be a glossy whitewash of the truth or just something icky like a cold sore or a pimple on your nose - Non-Profit Humour. Look, we've got to lighten up. The best way to do that is to follow this blog. It's the nonprofit version of the New Yorker's The Borowitz Report...parody and more parody for a belly laugh or two.
Photo: Dimitri Vervitsiotis/Getty Images