There are several ways a methods section can be written but one frequently used is to put the methods in a bulleted list after each objective. Below is a sample:
In order to achieve the objectives for our Senior Latino Community Outreach Pilot Project, Some City Senior Center will employ the methods outlined below. We have confidence in these methods, as they have been tested and proven successful by two of our fellow nonprofit organizations whose client populations are Latino: Health Access Latinos in Some City and the XYZ Community Clinic in Valley Vista. Representatives of both organizations served as advisers to us as we developed this pilot project. We have also prepared a detailed timeline, which is included in the appendixes to this proposal.
Ensure that a minimum of 75 Spanish-speaking seniors with Type II diabetes who complete our disease management classes maintain stabilized blood sugar levels for three consecutive months.
- Some City Senior Center will hire a program assistant and a full-time bilingual nurse who specializes in chronic disease management. Establish an outreach committee cochaired by two of our Latino and/or Spanish-speaking board members and including diverse community representation (geography, race, ethnicity, gender, and occupation).
- The bilingual nurse and program assistant will adapt the center's current diabetes self-management classes, including classroom tools and materials, to make them linguistically and culturally appropriate for Spanish-speaking seniors.
- The bilingual nurse and program assistant will develop the protocols for testing and tracking program participants for three consecutive months after completing the classes.
- Staff will develop a formal referral system and feedback mechanism between our center and all appropriate community agencies positioned to provide referrals to our Spanish-speaking diabetes management classes.
- Staff will hold weekly Spanish language diabetes self-management classes.
- Staff will track participants' progress on a weekly basis for three months following completion of the classes.
- The program assistant will formally chart the progress of each participant.
*Reprinted with permission from Winning Grants, Step by Step, Third Edition, Mim Carlson and Tori O'Neal-McElrath, Jossey-Bass, 2009.
Back to How to Write a Grant Proposal.