A written job description is as necessary for volunteers as it is for paid positions. Here is a sample based on How To Write a Volunteer Position Description.
Volunteer Position Job Description - Sample
Job Title: Day Chair
Purpose: The position of Day Chair serves as the receptionist for the Charles County Agency on Aging, supporting the Agency's mission of supporting the elderly population of Charles County. The Day Chair represents the agency to the public who visit the agency's offices Monday, Weds, and Friday from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: The Day Chair works in the public reception area of the agency's main office at 567 N. Oak St in Tulsa, OK.
- The Day Chair answers the main phone line and directs calls.
- Greets guests and directs them to other offices or locations.
- Answers questions about the agency and provides forms when necessary.
- Prints out a list of activities that take place that day at the agency's offices and satellite locations.
- Makes reminder phone calls to other volunteers who are assigned to projects for the following day.
- Opens the mail and distributes it.
- Records donations that come in and enters them in the database.
- Proofreads brochure copy when time allows.
- Helps prepare bulk mailings.
- Prepares correspondence as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Assistant Director of the Charles County Agency on Aging
Length of Appointment: The Day Chair is assigned to one day per week for a period of three months. After three months, the Day Chair may be reappointed for another three months at the discretion of the supervisor. After six months, the person who is serving as Day Chair may rotate to another position within the agency.
Time Commitment: One day per week (M, W, or F) for six hours (9-12 am and 1-4 pm), for a minimum of three months.
Qualifications: Basic knowledge of computer and data entry. Pleasant manner, patience, problem-solving ability, dependability.
Support: Training for this position will be provided. In addition, the Assistant Director will be available for questions and assistance.
Age Requirement: None
Dress Code: Business Casual
Other categories that might be included on a volunteer position description are:
- certifications/licenses required, i.e. CPR Certification, Commercial Drivers License, etc.
- development opportunities, i.e. training for other positions. etc.
- security checks required, i.e. criminal history check, fingerprint check, etc.
- benefits, i.e. certificate of service, free parking, tuition remission, etc.